History of the Eastern Shore Chapel Cemetery
The Eastern Shore Chapel Cemetery was established around 1900 on the grounds just north of the third chapel building which was located directly across the road from Naval Air Station Oceana. With the introduction of jet aircraft into the Navy in the early 1950s, it became necessary to extend the air station’s runways to accommodate them, and the chapel was dangerously close to proposed flight paths. After much deliberation, it was decided in 1951 to relocate the chapel and cemetery to its current location on Laskin Road.
Today Eastern Shore Chapel’s serenely beautiful cemetery is located on 8 acres of land adjacent to the chapel, amidst a profusion of laurel, dogwood, holly, pine, and oak trees. Our cemetery has not only the available in-ground space, but also a large columbarium and remembrance garden for cremains as well. In 1989, an Infant Memorial Garden and Cremation Garden were created and the first inurnments took place. In 2005, construction began on a columbarium and the first inurnments in the columbarium took place in June, 2006.